Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Time After Time

On this day, thirty whatever years ago, the world was blessed by my birth...

Yeah, ok, it is my birthday. yippy. However, that is not what I want to write about today. Today I am reminiscing about articles of clothing that have vanished. I go through clothing pretty fast, between my innate ability to spill on everything and my other innate ability to rip holes in anything because of my penchant for tripping, clothes just don't last long around me. But there are certain items that have simply vanished from my closet without explanation. For example, a year ago I bought a sweater that was the cutest thing ever and I wore it all last winter with joy in my heart from knowing how adorable I was...and then it was gone. Not thrown away, not given to charity, not lent to a friend, just gone. So now I am not only left with a gaping hole in my wardrobe that only that adorable sweater will fill, but I don't have any closure of knowing why it decided to leave. (Yes, I know it is just a sweater, I'm not crazy, I just get kind of attached to certain things).

Ok, and on the other hand I have a green hoodie from my sophomore year of high school that is still hanging around my closet. I wear it whenever I am having a sick day. It's from colorguard, so it has a disturbing cougar on the back holding a rifle and flag and my name embroidered on the front. Because of it's advanced age it has a couple of holes and bleach spots, but I still cherish it, because it has lasted longer than almost anything else in my life and you have to honor that kind of fortitude...I'm not sure how you honor a hoodie, but I do try. There was a pair of green sweatpants that said ASST CAPT down one leg (I really wanted them to leave off the T(the T in ASST, not CAPT), but my advisor nixed that idea, I'm still disappointed) and it has also disappeared. I don't think I would have thrown them away since they were half of an ensemble (whenever I say the word ensemble I think about that Cribs episode with Mariah Carey where she was having a full blown breakdown, it was awesome), and who would want to borrow them? They are a particularly hideous shade of Kelly Green. I think there was a cougar paw print on the butt of them, so maybe that was what attracted whatever thief stole them.

So, this post is dedicated to items from my closet that have decided to take their leave of me, my sweater, ASST CAPT pants, flowy dusty pink blouse that was way too feminine for me to pull off (please pretend that orchestra music is playing in the back ground as these items are flashed on a big screen in a hushed theater, a la the memoriam section of the Oscar ceremony). You will be missed.

6 comments:

bonnie jack said...

i didn't know you were in colorguard. i was too. i guess it just never came up. can't imagine why.

i too have lost some of my favorite clothes. sad.

Anonymous said...

I have them all the sweater the sweats and whatever else you are missing ah ha ha

ALICIA said...

Happy Birthday my friend.

Pat said...

Amy--Enjoy your blog---makes me laugh lots. Thanks to CJ for letting us meet you years ago!!!
We were sorry to hear about your mom---tough to lose one so close.

About the Diet Coke-----you and I have kept the Coke company afloat financially for years!! Keep up the good drinking!!!!!!
Don't stop now.
We love you
CJ's Dad

Happy-Hardings said...

I tried to pst before but it didn't stick, hope you had a great bday. I lose clothes too, we are so alike, it's frightening.

Anonymous said...

Maybe your Asst Capt pants ran off with my Asst Capt pants and they are hiding somewhere, laughing at us. I too have my green hoodie with the disturbing cougar on the back, I think the paper clips are still on it too! Ah, the memories.

Happy Birthday, AnyLyn. You totally rock and I love your guts!!!