Saturday, January 10, 2009

Resolution This

On the whole, I think New Year's resolutions are lame. Why suddenly strive to fix your flaws just because you turned the page on the calendar? I say embrace your flaws at all times, even in January.

However, I have to admit I have actually attempt to make and keep one resolution this year. Usually I make a few token ones just to join in the fun. One year I gave up shellfish.(I hate any sort of fish, especially those that come in a shell, because shells freak me out, they are an exoskeleton. Eww.) So...where was I? Oh yes, I have resolved to give up Diet Coke this year. Not completely, I just finally admitted to myself that it has gotten out of hand. I usually polish off my first can by 8:30 a.m. and then just keep going throughout the day. And last week my darling little brother came up to me with tears in his eyes and told me that I need to stop it. I felt like I was having an intervention. I was waiting for him to pull out the letter he had written to me about how my substance abuse was tearing our family apart. Darn him and his Maybelline lashes.

So, since I am not a fan of migraines, here is my plan: Last week I limited my Diet Coke intake to three 12 ounce cans every day. This week I am down to two cans, next week is one can a day and then maybe one can every other day. Yes I am a woman with a plan. Nothing can stop me...except maybe the refills for 25 cents on Tuesdays at my local Texaco.

Now. On to more pertinent topics. My mother died last night. I only mention this as kind of an excuse as to why I am a bit incoherent and basically absent from this blog for the past few weeks. It has been a rough time, especially for Charlie whom has had to feed himself and figure out how the washing machine works for the past two weeks while I was at my mother's bedside. More on this later, as soon as I can compartmentalize it and make it a bit more palatable.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Amy, love you tons, call me, what do you need, I'm bringing you dinner so you just don't have to think about it. Actually I will call you. What do you want?

Kirk said...

My deepest sympathies for your loss. We can talk later about that if you like.

As for the rest of your post, I'm letting you know that I'm protesting to keep you drinking Diet Coke!

In this overly-complicated joyless technocracy we have created for ourselves, it's rare that one can find something that brings them true happiness. It's not like you are shooting it directly into your veins, leaving aspartame track marks on your arms. Mia looks too healthy and well-fed to have been going hungry because you spent the entire food budget to get your fix. There are far worse things you could be doing to yourself. And dang it, just because you allow yourself to indulge in something that brings you pleasure doesn't mean it's a vice! George Burns never gave up his cigars and lived to be 100! I envy you for the fact that you have something simple, inexpensive, harmless, and easily acquired that can bring a little joy to you with the simple "pssst" of a can. I think everyone on Earth needs to find their own "Diet Coke".

Stay strong, sister. Don't cave to the biased thoughts of others. I've never known you to let anyone think for you - don't start now.

-Kirk